Saturday September 24th 2011

       We finally did the big move!! Our room which was once our bedroom is now our brand new living room/family room. It feels so much different but is also everything I had envisioned and more, not only does it look and feel much better but it also will help our heating & electric bill this winter. Hopefully we will be able to get the plastic for the windows which will help even more! This whole year has been so very hard on us and I feel like its time now for us to just breathe and relax and enjoy what we do have. There is something about losing that makes you thankful for what and who you still have and the people there to share it with you. Most people aren‘t thankful for the little things in life until they have very little left.

           
         My next goal is going though my “stuff” and trying to determine what needs to be kept, sold, tossed, or donated in order to simplify this house which should feel like our home, and not just the place we stay and store things!! I have been thinking on the meaning of the term [minimalist] and use to when I heard the word, the first thing that came to mind was [cold modern clean lines.. Boring] but after doing some reading up on the term it isn’t necessarily cold or boring it simply means living more simple. Taking the time to think about what your buying and only purchasing things you absolutely need or love. Also if you don’t love or need the things you already have they must go! This is my huge problem… I realized quickly that in many aspects of my life I had a real problem letting go [of things of people of problems of worry] many things in my life I needed to learn to purge. Easier said than done when surrounded by STUFF some of which you really do need.

         So how do you determine what is junk from necessity? They say to ask yourself questions about each item.. . Like do I love this item? Do I need this item? Do I have more than one? Could someone else make better use of this? My major problem is that some things I would like to try and sell if possible to make extra money for the house or the gas tank or whatever comes up that’s needed at the time. I have listed several items this way and made money to get by on. BUT its very hard to post things when its just in piles everywhere. That being said making this switch of the rooms has made things easier and more organized than before and I already have a big box set aside or donation and its waiting for more to be added to it.


       Hopefully before spring comes around again we will have this place looking pretty good. We aren’t extremely social people but I would love to be able to have family or friends over sometimes and have a comfortable place for them to feel welcome. I now feel like we are on that path. And thanks to my parents Martha & Tom for bringing the old plaid chair! I love the thing and I’m sitting here now as I write this blog. It was just what I needed, what I like to call my Mommy space LOL! Now all I need is my bookcase and I will be all set. We’re just going to keep doing little things when we can afford to do so and from now on keep it simple, while doing more and more research on minimalism and ways of applying it to everyday life.

I will be posting pictures soon~

[TBF-Homestead]

Comments

Popular Posts