[What Plain Green Beans Can Do]

From a very young age I knew that I was different, I sometimes felt that others were somewhat shallow and superficial. Not only that but I felt I could sometimes "read others" No I'm not saying I read minds or that I have some sort of powers. but simply that I get feelings about people when I meet them not all the time but like with some people I can feel they aren't being sincere in their actions. Now that I'm older the feelings are about the same I can pick fake out.. from a mile away, which makes being "real" or true to myself so much more important. I sometimes worry about the impressions I give off, since people don't know the real me, how I think or feel besides whats on the outside. It's important to me that my image portray the real me. I use to think it was so horrible that I was different... I struggled in school and many times I have cried because I honestly thought there was something wrong with me! Not only was that untrue but what I was feeling also had a name, a few years back I decided to do some research on why I was so different and what could possibly be wrong with me, and what I found was a revelation in my heart. It turns out that I am introverted. If you aren't familiar with the term an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people. 

        In short everything I had researched about the term was ME in a nutshell! I was amazed at how much better I felt when I realized not only was there nothing wrong with me but I was able to put a name with the feelings I had.. In school I always heard "cheer up" or something to that effect even fresh out of high school I had people trying to pity me because I seemed sad. Which at the time I suppose I did seem sad because of thinking I wasn't normal.. but now if people ask I can tell them I am fine and really mean it, walking away with a smile or maybe in my mind anyway. For all you extroverts reading this please know that your introverted friends are not being rude or off-putting on purpose its just how we are sometimes and we're kinda like an onion when taken the time to peel away our layers what you have underneath is a really great person and friend! Many introverted people wish to be invisible because of the many expectations of todays society but I now embrace my differences and pursue my own dreams and goals in life with more grace instead of grief. 

    This blog post went in a total different direction than I first intended it to so I realize that a few of you are probably wondering how I chose the title. I remembered today while sitting here eating plain warm green beans from a bowl with my son, that from a very young age I knew that simple things were special and I can remember watching the old movie: Across the Great Divide and loving the part where they sat by their campfire eating fresh deer meat and how it made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside, well  now I know why! It's because those simple moments, they force people to be close and it makes your time spent more intimate and special. I saw that in my son today, in sharing a small bowl of green beans he immediately reacted differently than if I had made a dinner and told him to eat it!  He jumped up excitedly and said we were having a picnic, and it was a great one at that. 

         Cling to the simple things in life, 
           for they are by far the sweetest. 




[TBF-Homestead]





Comments

Popular Posts